Savannah, Ga. - Lynn University's women's swimming team won two of the five individual events on the second day of the 14th Annual SCAD Invitational while also earning two runner-up and one third place finish. Additionally, Sarah Hughes, Samar Khacha and Karolina Smylek all turned in NCAA 'B' cut times while program-record times fell in the 100 butterfly and 400 medley relay.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn (315) dropped one position to third and is only a half point behind Emory (315.5). Ninth-ranked Wingate extended its lead to 756 with Keiser (264.5) and Rollins (205) rounding out the top-five.
- Lynn's A freestyle relay claimed fifth place (Hughes, Alyson Currao, Sarah Nichols and Laia Coma) with a time of 1:39.00. The B team earned points for a 13th place finish (1:42.38 – Khacha, Grace Armit, Catalina Berraud-Galea and Tatiana St. Juste) while the C Team (Lauren McGee, Savanna Suggs, Sydney Keefe and Shelby McKeever) took third in its heat.
- Hughes topped her preliminary 400 individual medley time by just over seven seconds to take first place (4:24.44). Khacha, who took the pole in the prelims, finished third with a time of 4:29.09. Both times are NCAA 'B' cut.
- Monges earned Lynn's second win of the night in the 100 butterfly as she bested her preliminary time by four-tenths of a second and outstretched Beatirz Olivieri of Rollins by nearly two-tenths of a second. Nichols placed 13th overall with a time of 59.00.
- Berraud-Galea and Monges competed in the 200 free. Berraud-Galea took first place and Monges seventh in the C finals with times of 1:54.48 and 2:01.61.
- In the 100 breaststroke Hughes once again beat her prelim time, shaving one second off her pace to finish third (1:04.62). Grace Armit took second in the C final (1:09.63).
- Smylek put in an impressive 56.03 in the 100 backstroke, falling to Wingate's Anna Miram by a mere two-hundredths of a second to finish second. Field (59.46) claimed fourth in the B final followed by a sixth-place Coma (59.77) while Currao was seventh in the C final (1:01.51).
- Lynn ended the night in almost as impressive fashion as it started taking second place in the 400 medley relay with a time of 3:48.94, only eight-tenths of a second back of Wingate. The B squad swam a time of 4:04.34 and the C team a 4:11.95.
BEYOND THE HEAT SHEET:
- Lynn now has earned four NCAA 'B' cut times at the SCAD Invite: Hughes, Khacha and Smylek join Berraud-Galea, who earned a B cut time in the 500 free on the first night.
- Smylek's 100 back time is a new school record, besting the Thalie Carmigniani's previous mark (58.12) by just over two seconds.
- Lynn's 400 MR time is also a new school record, topping the previous time by nearly four seconds.
- Monges 100 fly time is the third-fastest in school history, trailing only Magdalena Baranowska (55.25) and Rebecca Matthews (55.60).
- Seven swimmers swam personal-best times: Currao 100 fly (1:01.51), Susan Faremouth 200 free (2:00.940) Aliah Maginley 200 free (2:07.31), Shelby McKeever 100 breast (1:15.09), Savanna Suggs 100 breast (1:17.02), Sydney Keefe 100 back (1:06.07) and Lauren McGee 100 back (1:08.10).
The Fighting Knights conclude the 14th Annual SCAD Invitational on Saturday, Dec. 1, beginning at 8 a.m. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.